Thursday, August 19, 2010

I need to be reminded...

 some artwork I did in High School

I recently started my third year of college and when I walked into my first class (Astronomy) I realized that this semester was going to be a challenge. As my professor stood in front of me, it struck me that he was throwing around his opinions about "the Big Bang Theory" very freely. Not only was he stating that it was fact, but he was also saying that any other beliefs were foolish... Now, my first thoughts were to stand up, tell him that he was lost and going to hell and walk out. The HS is the only thing that stopped me from doing that. So, I went home and thought further about what had just taken place and decided that I needed God's help on this one. First of all, it is hard for me to sit in a classroom and listen to someone is openly opposing my faith and does not care. But once again, the HS who lives in me, guides me to be loving and gracious to the ones who oppose God. My job is to prepare myself for an instance if it comes up where I am able to stand up for my faith and share the TRUTH with the class, then I will boldly. Until then, God is teaching me to learn from listening to other's points of view and respect what other people have to say.


I just finished a book called "Radical" by David Platt and in it he challenges all Christians to do something that seems radical, but really is just biblical. His challenge in the next year: 1. Read the whole Word. 2. Pray for the entire world. (www.operationworld.org) 3. Use your money for a specific purpose to bring glory to God. 4. Spend time in another context (On mission). 5. Surround yourself with fellow believers who are a part of a strong body of Christ.
 These things have really helped me keep my eyes on the things that really matter in this world instead of the lesser important stuff that too many times we see as "more important" than God. In Philippians 3, Paul writes "Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For His sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ." Those words are so important to keep in mind when you start thinking about what you want to do in your future, your future spouse, the friends that you have, and the decisions you make. It affects all of that. If God is truely at the center of your heart, all of those other things will be like garbage to knowing Christ! I have been learning this again and again in my life and I hope you can learn something as well. The Lord has given me and you this life to do with what we want, but the only life that matters is the one who is seeking to honor the Lord. The one that is seeking to make their life NOT their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment